Thursday 8 August 2013

Introduction - Hello and welcome!

Hi there, welcome to my blog about progressive muscle relaxation!

I am currently in my 3rd year studying occupational therapy and I am writing this blog for the ‘Transition to Practice’ course. We were required to choose a topic of interest that we think may benefit our peers, potential colleagues and others who it could appeal to.

I first encountered progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) when I was on my Mental Health placement at the beginning of the year. I was working alongside an occupational therapist that worked with clients out in the community who suffered from a mental illness. She performed PMR on me and I also watched as she would use it on her clients. Once I had seen it and experienced it a few times, I started to use it on a few clients myself and the feedback I received from those clients was always positive. Since that placement, I have been very keen on this intervention and I think it can be useful for others to know about, which is exactly why I chose to write this blog about it.

Over a period of time, my blog will cover several aspects of PMR, including:
  • Defining PMR, the different types and where it all came from.
  • Diaphragmatic breathing and why this is important.
  • The benefits of PMR.
  • Client’s perspectives on PMR.
  • Where PMR can be carried out.
  • How PMR is carried out.

If you find any of this information useful or you would like to share your thoughts or experiences, please don’t hesitate as I would love to hear from you :-)


References:
Image retrieved August 2, 2013 from http://weheartit.com/entry/12929300

3 comments:

Snicklefritz Farquhars said...

Thanks Ashley, have borrowed your blog to expand on PMR mentioned in mine. Perfect!

Unknown said...

Cool, glad my blog has helped you :-)

matina said...

i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com