Tuesday 9 July 2013

Reflection

Overall, I believe PMR is a useful intervention that should be used if possible and when appropriate. On my placement when my supervisor introduced PMR to me, I felt overwhelmed and assumed that it was a complex intervention that would take me a long time to get my head around. To my surprise, after that placement I felt confident in using this intervention in my future occupational therapy practice and I feel as though I would be able to clinically reason why I am using it as a key intervention with clients.

I have learnt a lot in regards to PMR throughout my experiences both on placement as well as completing research to complete this blog. When I first started using PMR on my clients I felt very nervous and thought I was going to do something incorrect and embarrass myself. The only way I could eliminate these feelings was to continue practising the technique whether it was on a friend/family member or on my clients. I also encourage you to use the deep breathing technique in conjunction with PMR as I believe it is effective and is an additional level of relief for the client. I found that reminding the client to continue their deep breathing throughout the entire session was useful as they would usually forget. By constantly communicating these reminders, it filled in those quiet moments between reading out the instructions, which broke the silence.

I hope this blog has been interesting and useful to you. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to introduce PMR to your clients (if applicable) or try using it yourself so you can experience the benefits first-hand!

Thank you for reading :-)

References:
Image retrieved July 9, 2013 from spiceboxdesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/happy-happy-joy-joy.html

No comments: